Pages

Saturday, September 4, 2010

We Flip for Phonics (Blog Candy - scroll down to enter!)

Check it out... we made a Phonics Flipper to practice our blends and small words:




Here's how you can make your own Phonics Flipper:

You will need:

Colored card stock
Book rings (1")
Wooden dowel (3/8" x 12")
Wooden dowel caps (1")
Die-cut letters (I used my Cricut)
Hole punch (3/16")
Adhesive (I used Sookwang double-sided tacky tape)
Wood glue
Laminate (I used my Xyron)

 1)  Choose your colors and plan your patterns.

 2)  Choose what letters you would like to include in your flipper.  I used the following:

First:  b, c, d, f, g, h, j, k, l, m, n, qu, r, s, t, v, w, y, z
Second:  a, e, i, o, u (of course)
Third:  b, c, d, f, g, j, k, l, m, n, p, r, s, t, v, w, x, z

 3)  Cut your letters and set them aside (I cut mine at 3 1/2")

 4)  Cut your "flippers" out of cardstock (3 5/8" x 4 1/4")

 5)  Adhere your letters to your flippers

 6)  Punch 2 holes in the top of each of your flippers.  I took a same-sized piece of scrap paper, folded it in half (longways) and punched one hole about 1/4 of the way in from the non-folded edge.  Open it up and you have a great, symmetrical template to work with.  I also punched multiple cards at a time.  I'm not that patient.

 8)  Make a front and back cover as desired.  I used half a sheet of card stock for each (4 1/4" x 11).

 9)  Laminate your covers.

10) Punch holes through your covers.  I kinda eyeballed this, using my flippers and template as guides.

11)  Loop the book rings through your covers and flippers.

12)  Slide the dowel through, add a little wood glue and cap both ends.

... and VOILA!

Sound a little laborious?  Don't have the supplies on hand?  Then enter to win your very own phonics flipper - handmade with love by yours truly!  Here's how it goes:
  • You must follow my blog publicly to be eligible
  • Earn 1 entry by commenting on this post
  • Earn 3 entries if you grab my blog button and post it on your blog
Giveaway ends 9/17/10 @ 11:59 PM eastern time. US only. Winner will be picked and announced the following day. Please respond within 48 hours, or a new winner will be chosen. 

Yay!  My very first lovingandlearningathome.com giveaway!  I used to be a rubber stamping blogger and a lot of our giveaways were things that we made :)  Thanks y'all.  Enjoy the long weekend!


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. This looks like a great tool, and one that I can easily use with 3 of my girls. I would love a chance to win one! Thanks!
    mommy saves at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to win this for my dd. Thanks for offering it. I am now following your blog!
    Katie
    aclassofherown(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this - you are so talented! what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails